Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) consists of acupuncture and herbal therapy to treat and prevent disease. This effective form of medicine has been practiced by almost a fourth of the world's population for three thousand years.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has been treating infertility dating back to eleven AD. Recent medical research has proven that acupuncture can improve the outcome of Assisted Reproductive Techniques, improving ovarian response and uterine receptivity.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) will help you enhance your reproductive potential by harmonizing your endocrine system with herbal internal medicine.
Traditional Chinese Medicine techniques have been proven to:
- Improve the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Relax the patient to decrease their stress
- Regulate hormones to produce a large number of follicles
- Prevent the uterus from contracting
- Decrease side effects of fertility drugs
- Decrease chances of miscarriage
- Improve semen to create better quality and quantity of embryos
What can you do to help yourself?
- First of all, become actively aware of your fertility signs (see article below)
- The more you can eliminate nicotine, caffeine drugs and alcohol, the higher your chances of success
- Take natural, high potency multivitamins and mineral complex with iron, folic acid and B vitamins
- Only eat hormone free meat and dairy-the typical American diet is loaded with harmful synthetic estrogens
- Exercise moderately and employ deep breathing techniques
How to take control of your fertility
- Use the Basal Body Temperature (BBT) chart. Begin recording your temperature with a digital thermometer every morning upon awakening (before rising). A typical graph will show a slight drop in temperature just prior to ovulation followed by a rise between 0.3 and 1.0 degree Fahrenheit, a result of rising progesterone after ovulation. Progesterone (and temperature) should remain elevated approximately 14 days and then drop, signaling the onset of menses. If conception occurs your temperature should remain elevated and even jump to a third level on the graph.
- Note changes in vaginal mucous during the month-it should be wet and slippery like egg whites around ovulation.
- Note these changes on your BBT chart.
- Note alterations in the cervix-rising estrogen levels around ovulation cause the cervix to soften and move up and way from the vagina while the cervical opening enlarges. Note these changes on your BBT chart as well.
- If your body is not showing a "normal" cycle curve, the right herbal formula can correct this.
TCM can help you balance the disharmonies that have been preventing conception. It is very common for couples today to feel like "it's getting too late; we must employ severe measures". While it is true that the average couple waits until later in life to conceive, TCM may help "turn back the reproductive clock". Please be patient with yourself. It takes at least three cycles to normalize a woman's cycle; longer if she has taken fertility drugs, has a history of sexually transmitted disease, taken birth control pills, has endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, or polycystic ovaries. Likewise, it takes 70 days to generate new sperm in a man. If he has a history of drug or alcohol abuse or urological complications, it may take longer to generate his reproductive capacity.
You are not alone. Approximately one in six to ten couples experience problems with fertility. Innumerable women grieve the loss of a potential child once a month, and lose a little more hope with each period. I believe that there is reason for optimism.
Acupuncture and herbal therapies are gentle, yet effective. It is safe, natural, cost effective, and has no side effects. In fact, TCM can only make you stronger, while helping create a healthier environment for a harmonious pregnancy. TCM will also increase the likelihood of conception if you do opt for the fertility drugs or medically assisted fertilization techniques.
After two years of irregular menses and going to Western specialists, I had several treatments with Carrie and was pregnant within two months. I truly believe her healing abilities are responsible for my body's hormonal balance.
– Corinna Sutherland Roth Stone Ridge, NY